Valentine’s Day is a favorite time for me, and I think it’s true saying, whether young or old, we all still love to receive Valentines!! My daughter and I have always enjoyed creating special Cards for each other, and for our loves and bff 🙂 Below is a Valentine she made for me several years ago, and I plan to keep it forever! 🙂 It’s simply beautiful with her loving touch, and that makes it Very special to me!!
I think that’s why I enjoy creating personal cards, gifts and yummy culinary treats… because I’m able to add my personal loving touch to each card or gift, with hopes that it will brighten and lift my loved ones spirit, making their day a little sunnier and happier! As I hold this sweet ‘handmade’ Valentine Card from my daughter, it evokes sweet memories from years past and even now fills my heart with more of her love!! Homemade cards can be enjoyed for many, many years, and each time they’re read, that same sweet kind, loving feeling comes across once again! >3
As I consider the design of my DIY Valentines Day Cards for this year…I’m going to enjoy this delicious cup of Hot Cocoa in hopes it will encourage my creativity! 🙂 Mmmm..who doesn’t Love Hot Chocolate~I’ve made these scrumptious Chocolate Lavender Marshmallows for Valentines Day treats:-) They are Simply Amazing!! I’ll save the rest of the Marshmallows for Valentine gifts, if they last that long! 😉
Below is a “valentine picture” that I framed for my husband, with my special touch, a Tatted pink heart and white Tatted chain that I made <3 (My dear Grandmother Mabel taught me to Tat when I was 12 years old~delicate lovely lace)
Here’s a Valentines Day blog note to all my wonder friends that visit & read my blog-posts, “Thanks always for your love and support! I’m sending you some calming Lavender Love from my heart to yours! Breathe in that calming sweet aroma and have an extra lovely Valentine’s Day! You are very Special to me!!” 🙂
Now let’s talk about my creative fun in the kitchen making these cool gooey, sweetly delicious, exquisitely soft, chocolatey floral yum-yummy culinary treats…Chocolate Lavender Marshmallows 🙂 OMGoodness and Wow are all I can say 🙂 This is my first time making these, and I can honestly say, they were very easy and fun! And I’ll NEVER again buy those chemical filled/high fructose yucky ones in the store!!!!! The French made these yummy confections and flavored them with Rose Water. Oh…that would be a delight to the senses, just like Lavender is :-)) You should try to make some for yourself!
You might choose, like I did, to make a few plan yummy Lavender Vanilla Marshmallows 🙂 Personally, I loved the Chocolate ones best!
- 2 1/2 Tbsp unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup Organic Corn Syrup
- 2 cups organic granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup confection sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp real Vanilla
- 4 Tbsp unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp-1 Tbsp Culinary lavender (I would suggest 2 tsp if you want a light floral note of lavender)
- Line a 13 x 9-inch pan with foil, overlapping it about 2″ over the sides. This will aid in lifting the cooled marshmallows out of the pan. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- I suggest that you begin this step 30 minutes prior to step 4, or do it the night before, because it needs ample time to cool.:-) Place 2/3 cup of water into a small sauce pan on stove, medium heat, add 2 tsp-1 Tbsp of culinary lavender and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and cover for 15 minutes. This will be your lavender infusion. Strain out lavender flowers with a fine strainer (I use a coffee filter) Cool this infusion before using.
- Place 1/2 cup of cooled lavender infusion into a large mixing bowl and sprinkle 2 1/2 Tbsp gelatin gently into the water. Allow to bloom for 15 minutes.Now begin step 4.
- In another medium size pan add 1/2 cup water, 1/3 cup organic corn syrup, 2 cups granulated sugar (pouring carefully not to get any on the edges of the pan) and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, 3-4 minutes, gently stir. Now only Swirl the pan gently (do not stir anymore) Clip a candy thermometer onto the side of the pan, and continue to boil until mixture reaches 240 degrees, approx. 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using whisk attachment on large mixer, mix bloomed gelatin on low speed for a few minutes. Then slowly add sugar mixture and gradually increase speed to high for 10-12 minutes. Add the vanilla during the last minute of whipping.
- While mixer is whipping marshmallows: in another small bowl combine 1/2 cup confection sugar, 2 Tbsp cornstarch and 4 Tbsp Cocoa Powder. Save for dusting the top of marshmallows.
- When 12 minutes are up…..Quickly pour the mixture into the prepared pan-work quickly-using a “lightly oiled spatula” smooth the top. Dust the top of the marshmallows with the Cocoa mixture to lightly cover. Save the rest for later. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4 hours or overnight.(I left mine overnight, covered with plastic wrap after 4 hours) If you choose to have plain lavender vanilla sugared marshmallows (mix 1/2 cup cornstarch and 1/2 cup confection sugar in a small bowl for dusting)
- Lift the marshmallows out of the pan by holding the sides of the foil, using it like a “sling” to aid in lifting it out. Set the foil with marshmallows on counter-top, and peel off foil. Dust with 2 Tbsp again and cut with an oiled knife into 1 inch long strips, then cut these strips into cubes. Working with a few of these marshmallows at a time, toss in bowl of Cocoa mixture. Place in a larger bowl, and place a few in Your Mouth 🙂 Drooling again thinking about it!!! Your delicious marshmallows can be saved in a zip-lock bag for 2 weeks…if they last that long!! Enjoy a hot cup of cocoa with you homemade chocolate lavender marshmallows! Happy Valentines Day!
- Recipe adapted from:American’sTestKitchen
Making my Lavender Infusion. I wanted a bold lavender note, so I used 1 Tbsp culinary lavender, but I would suggest using only 2 tsp is your wanting a delicate floral note.
Whipping is finished, making a spongy marshmallow foam 🙂 My delightful homemade lavender marshmallows, chocolate and vanilla. OMGoodness these are the most delish culinary treats!!
Enjoy a hot cup of cocoa with your own homemade chocolate lavender marshmallows, with your special someone. And share some with your sweet friends!! And maybe design a few personal handmade Valentines for your sweeties, to brighten their day for years to come!! Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!
Spread a little Love around your part of the world with calming lavender!!
Lavender Lady XOXOXO