This light and easy sweetheart cake has a fresh amazing flavor of citrus and lavender. The perfect dessert for your sweetie on Valentine’s Day. 🙂
Happy Valentine’s Day..Make every day a celebration of the heart!
LIGHT AND EASY “SWEETHEART” CHIFFON CAKE
2 medium lemons
1 large orange
1 cup cake flour
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 Tablespoon culinary Lavender “Signature Blend”,English
¼ tsp salt
2 Tablespoons oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large egg yolks
8 large egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
*Citrus Glaze (below)
1 cup whipped cream
Lavender & orange peel
1. From lemons, grate peel and squeeze 1/4 cup juice. From orange, grate peel and squeeze 1/4 cup juice.
2. Mix together in a large bowl: cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In small bowl, with wire whisk, beat lemon juice, orange juice, 2 tsp lemon/orange peel, lavender, oil, vanilla extract, and egg yolks. Beat yolk mixture into flour mixture until well blended.
3. Preheat oven to 325’F. In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; gently fold egg-white mixture into batter just until blended. Pour batter evenly into 2, 9-inch heart-shaped cake pans, ungreased, lined with parchment paper, (or use 9-inch round cake pans).
4. Bake 20 minutes or until golden and tops of cakes spring back when lightly touched with finger. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. With metal spatula, carefully loosen cakes from pans; cool completely on racks.
5. Prepare Citrus Glaze.
6. Place 1 cake layer on cake plate; spread with whipped topping. Top with second cake layer. Spread Citrus Glaze on top of cake, allowing glaze to run down side of cake and spreading glaze to cover side.
7. To serve, sprinkle extra orange peel and lavender to garnish your cake. Makes 12 servings.
Citrus Glaze: In small bowl, mix 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon orange juice, 2 tsp grated lemon/orange peel, 1 tsp vanilla, and dash salt. Add additional drops of juice if needed, to give glaze a smooth spreading consistency. Serve with homemade Lavender/Vanilla Ice Cream, or whipped cream :)) Enjoy!