- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2″ cubes
- 4 TBS unsalted butter, melted
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 TBS all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Pour 1 1/2 inches of water into a medium stockpot with a strainer basket and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, cover, and steam until fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Strain sweet potatoes, place in a large bowl and let cool to room temp. Mash them to a smooth puree, about 1 1/4 cups. Add butter, lemon juice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt, mixing after each addition.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks lightly with a whisk for about 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat until they’re a creamy lemon-yellow color, about 1 1/2 min. Add egg mixture to sweet potato mixture and stir until eggs are thoroughly incorporated and filling is consistent bright-orange color. Add flour a little at a time, stirring after each addition, until thoroughly incorporated. Add buttermilk and stir until mixed in.
- With a clean, dry whisk and in a separate bowl, whisk egg whites to soft peaks, about 1 1/2 min. Gently fold egg whites into sweet potato-buttermilk mixture until blended. Pour mixture into a prepared pie crust, then top with lavender crumb topping (see below). Bake on middle rack of oven until the center is firm and set, 35-40 min.
- Remove pie from oven and cool completely on a rack. Enjoy!
Lavender Crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 2 TBS butter-room temp
- 1 1/2 tsp “Signature Blend” Culinary Lavender, finely ground in coffee grinder or spice grinder
Combine sugar, flour, culinary lavender & salt. Press out any lumps of sugar. Then using your hands or fork, rub in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Scatter crumb topping evenly over sweet potato pie, and bake.